Monday, October 20, 2008

Todd Bentley: Clarifications

I was wondering why so many people had reacted to the matter on Todd Bentley. I think that was a rather impassioned post that had been more seeing-red than logical. So here are a couple of points I'd like to stress, before my comments reach to heaven... Or hell. :p


1. I do not believe in NEVER questioning TEACHINGS. In the previous post, I never mentioned anything about TEACHINGS... I only talked about the lynch mob against the PERSON of the pastor.

As regards how to treat teachings, I personally question the existence of the angel "Emma," and I'm still neutral about the issue. I'll allow God to shape my opinions about that as the days go by. As far as I'm concerned, there really are no female angels in the Bible, and I'm rather distrustful of female spirits, especially if they tend to call attention to themselves. My personal opinion is that this surely reminds me of the Marian apparitions in the past.

Whether the Marian apparitions are the counterfeit and this is the real thing, or satan has evolved his strategy and permutated it to the Charismatic/Pentecostal paradigm, is not really something I want to preoccupy my brain cells with, at the moment.

2. As regards questions of doctrine regarding strange spiritual phenomena, all I know is that if the fruit is ugly, like idolatry, or the focus is on us, on the entity, and doesn't glorify God at all, it's definitely not of God.

Regarding angelic activity of late, I know that the time is ripe. God is coming soon, and I'm not surprised about the increased spiritual activity. I have not reached to a full conclusion of the matter of the Angel Emma yet, and I don't want to bother about it. But I do know, that this video stirs some questions.

On one hand, they do give the glory back to God. The worship is back to God. And this seems to me like a reminder of Revelation 21.

On the other hand, these things are never recorded before, and Jesus did say that angels do not marry in Heaven. Whether they are gender-less or restricted to the male gender is beyond our knowledge, as of the moment.

3. I do not promote a sheepish all-embracing attitude. But neither do I promote a too-critical and too-judgmental approach to matters like revivals and the spiritual realm, as well as prophecy. I would rather that the person would talk to God himself, and examine the truth himself.

Use logic, use anecdotal evidence, use research. But remember that with God, the only currency revolves around FAITH, HOPE, and LOVE. Skepticism wasn't in His vocabulary, even.

4. There is one trick to discerning what is of God and not: you will know the source by its fruit.

If the focus deflects from God, if the focus shifts from worshiping JESUS and The Father, and turns the focus of worship to the angel, or the prophet, then it's not of God.

If the healings are counterfeit and are not long-lasting and results in further trouble, it's not of God.

If the teaching results in confusion, it's not of God.

If the Word/rebuke/exhortation/encouragement encourages arrogance/anger/rebellion or anything else negative, it's definitely NOT of God.

If the teaching/voice in your head urges or encourages you to sin against God, of course, it's NOT of Him..

If the result is of a Martha-like attitude, wherein you need to do more to prove you are of worth, it's not of God.

5. The bottom line really is to take all questions to God. The Holy Spirit and the Word will show you into all truth and knowledge. Guard your quiet time and your walk with Jesus with a tenacity unlike any other. Mind your own walk, NOT other people's. Be careful lest you fall.


I encourage independent thought. I would rather that people researched on these matters on their own than to get it from me. I encourage that people bump into truth in their own way, at their own pace, in their own time. NOT this way, wherein they need someone else to teach them how to swallow their food.

I encourage making mistakes, and I encourage giving each other mercy to the extreme. I encourage people to allow for others to make mistakes, and to forgive themselves and others every time they, or someone else who's a Christian, falls into sin or error...


***

I srsly don't know why y'allz reacted so severely to my previous post, but I just know that YOU should be more responsible for YOUR OWN walk. Mind your own business regarding others' mistakes, and if you are so affected and grieved, go ask God. Don't look to other people for your answers. It's more painful to everyone else involved, as well as for the rest of the Body of Christ, when discord and chaos result from conflicting opinions of church leaders.

Go talk to God on your own, and ask Him all your deepest, most pressing questions. Only HE can satisfy all your deepest questions.


And for all else. Matters like these really should't occupy your brains and mine too much. FOCUS on what you need to do at the moment!

And with that, here's hoping everything's clear now. If not, post your questions, else PM me. :p

No comments: