Monday, August 18, 2008

Of Superhumans/Superanointeds and Prayer

Before somebody checks in on this and calls me a HERETIC, I'd like to straight to the heart of what I want to say:

You have access to the greatest authority on earth, anytime, anywhere: God the Father, through the Holy Spirit, and the name of the Lord JESUS. Yeshuah. Hesus.

The thing is that people tend to think that the power of the Holy Spirit: the ability to prophesy and speak in tongues as well as the other gifts, are only apportioned to "Super Christians."

Not true.

I used to be one of those who believed in that lie. When I sought out the lady known to be Victory Christian Fellowship's most renowned prophet and intercessor, and asked for an "impartation," she only had one heart in her prayer for me: EYES OF A DOVE: focused on Jesus.

As she prayed for me, I remembered one realization that no doubt the Holy Spirit set in my heart years ago, when I committed my life to the Lord in UP Los BaƱos, in 2003. In fact, I had corrected a girl that was overly praising the pastors and leaders while we were in a prayer meeting circle, with my own prayer containing that realization: That there is no need to look up to these people in false adoration and allowing ourselves to believe that they are the only ones who can preach like that and pray like that.

The Lord has already died, rose again, seated at the right hand of the Father, and He has apportioned His Holy Spirit to EVERYONE.

EVERYONE.

Not "Everyone-except-[insert your name here]."

As the pastors in Victory said, "There is no JUNIOR HOLY SPIRIT."

You know, these men and women who lead us were like us once: young, full of dreams, but messy and messed up.

They had their wilderness moments, and they had their sablay moments.

Yet, it is not them who set themselves on these places of authority. They were not the ones who just strategized where they wanted God to put them and maneuvered things. They went through the worst of seasons and the worst of moments, sumablay sila, but as God adjudged them faithful and worthy, He promotes them Himself.

The thing is that we have to seek the Lord and delight in Him AS FOR WHO HE IS. Not for the ministry we anticipate, not for the blessings we anticipate. We delight in the Lord, because He is so lovely, and He deserves our praise.

Sa totoo lang, I had grasped for so much before, I wanted anointings and stuff..

I went through so much.. And I got a lot of stuff that I wanted.. Rewards..

Then the other week, Pastor Robert gave us a Giftings test. As I tallied all the giftings, my perfectionistic streak coming out, one gift was missing.

I looked for it matter-of-factly. But when I finally spotted it and neatly placed it on its row among the top three, I wistfully looked at it and blanched... Because I had so longed for and grasped after it, and at that moment... It didn't matter as much anymore.

Because when all is said and done...

  • I serve because I can't live with myself if I knew God called me for that task for the moment and wasn't faithful with it.
  • I serve with excellence coz I cannot stand leaving slipshod work, no matter how long it takes.


And at the end of the day...




.......All I wanted was that Creme Brulee, Tiramisu, Rocky Road Cake or some other sweet, sinful dessert, that I could have, after all the work has been done.

No comments: